1098-T Information

1098-T Tax Year

The Student Accounting Office issued all eligible 1098-T forms for the 2023 tax year January 31, 2024. Students who did not receive their expected form can send an inquiry to our office at student-accounting@med.cornell.edu (Please use the subject: 1098T FORM REQUEST)  If you are a PHD or MDPhD, a form is not generated because your program covers all eligible charges. If you are enrolled in a Cerificate program, you also don't qualify for a 1098T form.

Receive your 1098-T Electronically! 

If you are a current student, you can elect this delivery option by logging in to Learn and completing the 1098-T Electronic Delivery Consent Form available here

Understanding your 1098-T

Form 1098-T will report the payments made for tuition and related expenses versus the amounts billed for tuition and related expenses. The 1098-T also reports financial aid awarded to students enrolled in courses at WCM during the calendar year for which they receive academic credit.

The information reported on the 1098-T form helps students evaluate whether he or she is eligible for an education tax credit. For information on what is reported on this form, see the Specific Instructions for Form 1098-T on the IRS website.

Understanding your 2023 1098-T

What is the 1098-T Form?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, and taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment and academic status. Beginning with 2003, educational institutions must also report amounts to the IRS pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student. While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify.

Am I eligible for a 1098-T Form?

Not all students are eligible to receive a 1098-T. Forms will not be issued under the following circumstances:
- The amount paid for qualified tuition and related expenses* in the calendar year is less than or equal to the total scholarships disbursed that year.
- Qualified tuition and related expenses in the calendar year were paid in full by a third-party organization.
- No qualified tuition or related expenses were paid for in the calendar year.

*Please note that "related expenses" do not include charges for room, board, insurance, health fees, transportation or similar expenses.

Why did I receive a 1098-T and what am I supposed to do with it?

In January of each year, Weill Cornell Medical College mails/emails Form 1098-T to all students who paid qualified tuition and other related educational expenses billed to them during the previous calendar year. This form is informational only and should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits. Receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate eligibility for the tax credit. To determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid, and the amount of scholarships and grants received, a taxpayer should use their own financial records.

NOTE: It is up to each taxpayer to determine eligibility for the credits and how to calculate them.

Did you send a copy of this form to the IRS?

Yes. Section 6050S of the Internal Revenue Code, as enacted by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, requires Weill Cornell Medical College to file information returns to assist taxpayers and the Internal Revenue Service in determining eligibility for the Hope and Lifetime Learning education tax credits.

What is the Hope Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit and what are allowable tuition and fee tax deduction for each?

Not all students who pay qualified expenses are eligible for a tax credit. For example, both credits have an income cap. Students who have a Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) greater than or equal to $62,000, or $ 124,000 for those filing a joint return, are not eligible for the Hope or Lifetime Learning credit.

The information provided may help you determine if you may be eligible for a tax credit. If you are eligible for both, it will help you decide which to claim. Each student can only claim one of these tax credits per year. You are also prohibited from claiming a tuition and fees deduction and an education tax credit for the same student for the same year. Publication 17 includes a number of useful real-life examples. Publication 970 explains tax benefits for education: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/index.html

I paid my qualified tuition and related expenses with student loans. Can I still claim a Hope or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit or Higher Education Tuition and Fees Deduction?

Yes. Loan funds should be considered in the same manner as cash payments when calculating a Hope or the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit or the Higher Education Tuition and Fees Deduction. However, any scholarships, grants, or other non-taxable aid must be deducted from the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses paid. The credit is claimed in the year in which the expenses are paid, not in the year in which the loan is repaid.

If I pay college tuition and fees with a scholarship, can I claim an education credit on Form 8863 for those payments?

No. You cannot claim a credit for the amount of higher education expenses paid for by tax-free scholarships. Weill Cornell Medical College will not issue a form 1098-T if your grant and scholarship are greater than your tuition and you did not have an out of pocket payment. For more information, please visit the IRS website.

How do I get a reprint of my 1098-T form?

If you did not receive a 1098-T due to a change of address, or you misplaced the form, we can provide you a copy. Please contact the Student Accounting Office by email: student-accounting@med.cornell.edu

Can I get a copy of a prior year 1098-T?

Yes, provided that a form was issued to you. Please contact the Student Accounting Office by email: student-accounting@med.cornell.edu


Contact Information

Office of Student Accounting 

1300 York Avenue, Room C-114
New York, NY 10065
Telephone: (646) 962-3475
Fax: (212) 746-5981